Interfaithforums.com  

Go Back   Interfaithforums.com > Debate Forum > Religious Debate
Religious Debate Debate religions and religious topics.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Think about it/ Bible verse- Ecclesiastes 10-19
(#1 (permalink))
Old

LHP-Pantheist
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 367
Join Date: Dec 2009
Karma: 222
Deity Cipher has a spectacular aura aboutDeity Cipher has a spectacular aura aboutDeity Cipher has a spectacular aura about
Think about it/ Bible verse- Ecclesiastes 10-19 - 9th December 2009, 02:53 PM

ECCLESIASTES 10-19

A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry; but money answereth all things.

What does that mean to you?
Reply With Quote
(#2 (permalink))
Old
metis's Avatar

Senior Member
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 8,882
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Detroit & Marquette areas, Michigan
Karma: 2423
metis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond repute
Rainbow 9th December 2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deity Cipher View Post
ECCLESIASTES 10-19

A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry; but money answereth all things.

What does that mean to you?
It's clearly an exaggerated statement, and if one puts it into the context of the rest of the Tanakh, it cannot be taken at literal face value. Money has its importance, no doubt, but there are other things in the Tanakh that are definitely held in much greater extent, such as God, compassion, and justice.


The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.-- Einstein
Reply With Quote
(#3 (permalink))
Old

Male Goddess
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,352
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rural Minnesota--go figure...
Karma: 1137
flitzerbiest has much to be proud offlitzerbiest has much to be proud offlitzerbiest has much to be proud offlitzerbiest has much to be proud offlitzerbiest has much to be proud offlitzerbiest has much to be proud offlitzerbiest has much to be proud offlitzerbiest has much to be proud offlitzerbiest has much to be proud of
9th December 2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deity Cipher View Post
ECCLESIASTES 10-19

A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry; but money answereth all things.

What does that mean to you?
The author was drunk at the time?
Reply With Quote
(#4 (permalink))
Old
metis's Avatar

Senior Member
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 8,882
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Detroit & Marquette areas, Michigan
Karma: 2423
metis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond repute
Rainbow 9th December 2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzerbiest View Post
The author was drunk at the time?
Or just opened a new bank account at the Bank of Jerusalem.


The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.-- Einstein
Reply With Quote
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Rev Chard's Avatar

Senior Member
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 4,462
Blog Entries: 19
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Karma: 2854
Rev Chard has a reputation beyond reputeRev Chard has a reputation beyond reputeRev Chard has a reputation beyond reputeRev Chard has a reputation beyond reputeRev Chard has a reputation beyond reputeRev Chard has a reputation beyond reputeRev Chard has a reputation beyond reputeRev Chard has a reputation beyond reputeRev Chard has a reputation beyond reputeRev Chard has a reputation beyond reputeRev Chard has a reputation beyond repute
9th December 2009, 03:48 PM

With the belief that King Solomon wrote Ecclesiastes, we need to read what is written with that understanding. Placing the scripture provided together with previous and following scripture may give us a better look at what was being said.

Ecclesiastes 10: 16- 20 follows:

“Woe to you, O land whose king was a servant and whose princes feast in the morning. Blessed are you, O land whose king is of noble birth and whose princes eat at a proper time-- for strength and not for drunkenness. If a man is lazy, the rafters sag; if his hands are idle, the house leaks. A feast is made for laughter, and wine makes life merry, but money is the answer for everything. Do not revile the king even in your thoughts, or curse the rich in your bedroom, because a bird of the air may carry your words, and a bird on the wing may report what you say.”

First, I beleive he is speaking of how the government should be operating. The officials need to be setting the example for the people. He then speaks of being diligent and not idle, and how the results of avoiding hard work are lack of repair (sagging leaking roof). A feast is for fun and wine makes one happy, but someone has to pay for the bread and wine. Hard work is necessary in order to earn the money to pay for the merriment. He ends by saying not to speak ill of the king and those who have earned their money through hard work for it may be heard and be reported.

Overall, I believe, that what is being said is that a hard working government sets the example for the people, allows feasting and merriment and if the people are doing without it is because they are not following the example being set and are being lazy and foolish. If they were to work hard and earn their money they to could join in the feast and enjoy the wine. If they chose instead to complain and not work, they will be found out.
Reply With Quote
Or As He Also Said
(#6 (permalink))
Old
rabbio's Avatar

הרב יונה בן זכריה
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,087
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Karma: 1648
rabbio has a brilliant futurerabbio has a brilliant futurerabbio has a brilliant futurerabbio has a brilliant futurerabbio has a brilliant futurerabbio has a brilliant futurerabbio has a brilliant futurerabbio has a brilliant futurerabbio has a brilliant futurerabbio has a brilliant futurerabbio has a brilliant future
Judaism Or As He Also Said - 9th December 2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metis View Post
It's clearly an exaggerated statement, and if one puts it into the context of the rest of the Tanakh, it cannot be taken at literal face value. Money has its importance, no doubt, but there are other things in the Tanakh that are definitely held in much greater extent, such as God, compassion, and justice.
There is always a risk of using a quote in isolation, although we're probably all guilty of doing so. In this regard, in Kohelet (same book, Hebrew title) 7:12 we read -

כִּי בְּצֵל הַחָכְמָה, בְּצֵל הַכָּסֶף; וְיִתְרוֹן דַּעַת, הַחָכְמָה תְּחַיֶּה בְעָלֶיהָ

Building on verse 11 which states, in part,
טוֹבָה חָכְמָה
that wisdom is good, verse 12 goes on to say
Because wisdom protects, just as money protects, but wisdom is greater because it preserves the life of one who has it.

B'shalom,

Peter

Last edited by rabbio; 9th December 2009 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
(#7 (permalink))
Old

Member
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 74
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Independence, Missouri
Karma: 122
Gwyddion9 will become famous soon enoughGwyddion9 will become famous soon enough
9th December 2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbio View Post
There is always a risk of using a quote in isolation, although we're probably all guilty of doing so. In this regard, in Kohelet (same book, Hebrew title) 7:12 we read -

כִּי בְּצֵל הַחָכְמָה, בְּצֵל הַכָּסֶף; וְיִתְרוֹן דַּעַת, הַחָכְמָה תְּחַיֶּה בְעָלֶיהָ

Building on verse 11 which states, in part,
טוֹבָה חָכְמָה
that wisdom is good, verse 12 goes on to say
Because wisdom protects, just as money protects, but wisdom is greater because it preserves the life of one who has it.

B'shalom,

Peter
thank you for sharing. I've learned that what is generally translated versus what is written and interpreted in the Tanach, is usually different.
Reply With Quote
(#8 (permalink))
Old
metis's Avatar

Senior Member
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 8,882
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Detroit & Marquette areas, Michigan
Karma: 2423
metis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond reputemetis has a reputation beyond repute
Rainbow 9th December 2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbio View Post
There is always a risk of using a quote in isolation, although we're probably all guilty of doing so. In this regard, in Kohelet (same book, Hebrew title) 7:12 we read -

כִּי בְּצֵל הַחָכְמָה, בְּצֵל הַכָּסֶף; וְיִתְרוֹן דַּעַת, הַחָכְמָה תְּחַיֶּה בְעָלֶיהָ

Building on verse 11 which states, in part,
טוֹבָה חָכְמָה
that wisdom is good, verse 12 goes on to say
Because wisdom protects, just as money protects, but wisdom is greater because it preserves the life of one who has it.

B'shalom,

Peter
I just knew I should have taken those Hebrew classes.

Thanks, rabbio.


The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.-- Einstein
Reply With Quote
(#9 (permalink))
Old

Member
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 92
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dallas TX
Karma: 135
howiedds will become famous soon enoughhowiedds will become famous soon enough
9th December 2009, 08:33 PM

My dad used to say, "Rich or poor, it's good to have some money,"
Reply With Quote
(#10 (permalink))
Old
shaw-n's Avatar

Senior Member
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,065
Join Date: Apr 2007
Karma: 347
shaw-n is a jewel in the roughshaw-n is a jewel in the roughshaw-n is a jewel in the roughshaw-n is a jewel in the rough
10th December 2009, 06:23 PM

Paul of the NT wrote that he could be happy in either poverty or riches, but it was better to be rich.
Both situations will have their problems and issues, but it is better to have the problems which arise from having too much than too little.
Starving really sucks.

Good post Rev Chard.
Things can be so misunderstood when they are just pulled put of context.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





INTERFAITHFORUMS aSTORE





GoDaddy.com - World's No.1 Domain Name Registrar






vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2005-2014 Interfaithforums.com. All Rights Reserved


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0